Brands | ABB
ABB - Power and productivity for a better world
Who we are - ABB in brief
ABB is a global leader in power and automation technologies. Based in Zurich, Switzerland, the company employs 145,000 people and operates in approximately 100 countries. The firm`s shares are traded on the stock exchanges of Zurich, Stockholm and New York.
ABB`s business is comprised of five divisions that are in turn organized in relation to the customers and industries we serve.
The company in its current form was created in 1988, but its history spans over 120 years. ABB`s success has been driven particularly by a strong focus on research and development. The company maintains seven corporate research centers around the world and has continued to invest in R&D through all market conditions.
The result has been a long track record of innovation. Many of the technologies that underlie our modern society, from high-voltage DC power transmission to a revolutionary approach to ship propulsion, were developed or commercialized by ABB. Today, ABB stands as the largest supplier of industrial motors and drives, the largest provider of generators to the wind industry, and the largest supplier of power grids worldwide.
ABB`s strategy is focused on organic growth, with an eye toward acquisitions that build our capability and global footprint within our core businesses of power and automation.
As one of the world`s premier engineering companies, ABB historically has also placed a strong emphasis on research and development. This continues to drive our business today.
ABB`s mission has four components that underpin our strategy and continue to drive the company`s success.
As one of the world`s leading engineering companies, we help our customers to use electrical power efficiently, to increase industrial productivity and to lower environmental impact in a sustainable way. Power and productivity for a better world.
ABB reviews and updates its strategy every five years. The current mid-term strategy for the years 2011-2015 was presented in November 2011.
ABB `s operations are organized into five global divisions, which in turn are made up of specific business units focused on particular industries and product categories:
- Power Products
- Power Systems
- Discrete Automation and Motion
- Low Voltage Products
- Process Automation
Things you may not know about ABB
- ABB i-bus® KNX automation technology provides energy efficiency, comfort and safety in each of the 499 guest rooms of the innovative Yas Marina hotel in Abu Dhabi
- ABB i-bus® KNX system increases energy efficiency in the CIRCA on Jellicoe art gallery in Johannesburg, by controlling multiple types of lights and using motion detection sensors
- ABB technologies are installed in the world`s second-largest hydroelectric power station in Itaipu on the Brazil-Paraguay border
- ABB has built the world`s most powerful battery storage system providing emergency power in Alaska
- ABB`s FACTS SVC technology has improved the efficiency of the entire South African grid
- ABB`s power and automation technologies run the world’s largest paper-mill in Belgium
- ABB motors and drives solution helps move skiers safely up the Alps
- ABB technologies propel the world’s largest cruise ship across the globe
- ABB has built the world's longest UHVDC link to create a 2,000 km power superhighway in China
- ABB 800xA system helps optimize performance of Spain’s largest solar plant
- ABB has delivered the world’s most powerful gearless mill drives to copper mill in Sweden
- ABB has built the world`s longest underwater HVDC link between Norway and Netherlands
- ABB has built the world`s highest substation to power the world`s tallest building Burj Khalifa in Dubai
- ABB`s Azipod® propulsion system can rotate 360` on its axis enabling smooth sailing at high seas
- ABB`s medium voltage switchgear and substation technologies powered India`s first barge mounted substation
- ABB automation technologies control the world`s largest paper-making machine